Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 19 Market Place - The New Hall
 


 

Grade II Listed building, built in 1865 as a Unitarian Chapel and public meeting hall.

1896
A H Tyler - Cafe Restaurant (K1896)


1906
Edgar Smith - Dealer in Antiques. (documentation right)

1909
Mr & Mrs Andrew Critten - This May, the Crittens set up their new Southwold Hosiery Company on the first floor. They have four employees and three small hand knitting machines. ('Southwold as an Industrial Town', SMHS)


 
1910
Mr & Mrs Andrew Critten - A year after its foundation, the Southwold Homeknit Hosiery Company is growing fast and has taken over both floors.(ibid)

1913
Southwold Homeknit Hosiery Company - On the brink of the First War, the firm land an enormous contract to provide socks to the Army and outgrow the premises altogether. The Crittens purchase the premises of the former auction house in Mights Road, just beyond the railway station, moving there the following year (LM)

 

1922
Henry Chapman (Harry) - Trading as 'New Hall Dining Rooms and Restaurant' (SSW, K1924)


 

Henry Chapman (Harry) - Now trading simply as 'Chapman's Restaurant' .Harry Chapman also runs the cafe at the Pier at this time (SVL1936)


Henry Chapman (Harry) - New Hall Dining Rooms and Restaurant

 

1954
Henry Chapman (Harry) - New Hall Dining Rooms and Restaurant (SRB1954)


1960s (exact date?)
William and Madge Davies
- Greengrocer (LM)

 

William and Madge Davies - Greengrocer (LM)

 
1984
William Davies
- Greengrocer (TTT1986)

Date
Norwich & Peterborough Building Society occupies ground floor. Upper floor becomes residential.
 

Norwich & Peterborough Building Society occupies ground floor. Upper floor is residential.

 
 

Norwich & Peterborough Building Society occupies ground floor. Upper floor is residential.

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.



New Hall is today the local branch of the Norwich & Peterborough Building Society.


Advertisement in Southwold Visitors' List 1907


Receipt dated 1906 from Edgar Smith Antiques for one Oriental Bowl, priced at £3 and 12 shillings (about £382 in today's terms)..
Image courtesy of Adam Twycross.

Click the image to enlarge

Above and below: New Hall in the early 1900s , taken on the same day (the two ladies at the corner have scarcely moved between shots!)The white notice in the window states 'To Let'. Perhaps this was immediately prior to Henry Chapman's tenure. (Southwold Museum P429 & 430)
Click pictures to enlarge

Advertisement in Southwold Shopping Week Programme 1922


Mid 1920s advertisement in Southwold Town Guide.

1929 advertisement in Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide.
Both above courtesy of Heather Osmer

1936 advertisement in the Southwold Visitors List.

Courtesy of Margaret Turnbull

WWilliam Davies of 19 Marketplace in the mid 1980s

William Davies, greengrocer, mid 1980s.
Reproduced from 'To the Town' by kind permission of Stephen Wolfenden

Click the picture to enlarge