inn called the King's Head was originally on this
site. It was rebuilt in about 1740 and became known
as the 'New Swan' until 1829 when, according to James
Maggs, "Mr Hy Garrod alter'd
it to the sign of the "Crown"'. Its Doric-style
portico was probably added then. Grade II Listed,
The Crown is considered one of the finest examples
of Georgian architecture in the town.
Thomas Bokenham - owns the "New
Swan" and this year founds a "Friendly Society"
based at the inn. (M)
Henry Garrod - takes over the
"New Swan" on January 6th from Thomas
Bokenham who moves up the High Street to
purchase the "Old Swan" (now known as 'The Swan Hotel'). He takes the HQ
of his "Friendly Society" with him. Ten
years later, in 1829, perhaps to end the confusion,
Henry Garrod changes the New Swan's name to the "Crown"
Mrs Francois - takes the "Crown"
over on 16 January. She has come from Cromer. (M) Henry Garrod moves to Constitution Hill where he sets up a new Beer House called 'The Tom & Jerry'.
Mrs Francois - leaves the "Crown".
(M). This is essentially a repossession. Mrs Francois seems to have become insolvent and, according to Maggs, her lease is reaassigned to her creditors, Read Crisp and William Abbott. (More about Read Crisp here). The previous landlord, Henry Garrod temporarily takes over the Crown's management.
Giles Austin - takes over as Landlord on 21 June but leaves a year later. (M)
Philip Westrup (M)
Sarah Hall - takes over as tenant from Philip Westrup (M)
On June 13th this year, The owners of The Crown, Halesworth Brewery, put the hotel up for auction along with the Fishing Buss at the harbour and the brewery's entire estate. This follows the retirement of the brewery's proprietor, Thomas Cracknell. James Maggs records that, 10 days earlier, the incumbent tenant, Sarah Hall, leaves the Crown having been distrained
for unpaid rental of £80. The hotel will remain
closed for the next two years. (M)
Mrs Lucy Mercer - takes over this
'Commercial Inn and Family Hotel' on May 27th. According
to a newspaper cutting preserved by Maggs, it is to
be "decorated and furnished throughout with entire
New and Elegant Furniture from the first houses in
London". A week later, 0n June 6th she marries
George Vincent and, on November
19th she holds an official opening dinner party. (M)
George Vincent - who has been keeping
the Crown, (presumably in partnership with his wife,
Lucy) leaves on 11th October this year (M) and is
Richard Sage (M)
Richard Sage - Victualler (W1874).
He leaves on 11th October (M) and is succeeded by
First Name Blunderfield
George Gage (K1896) To read an account of the life and career of George Gage by Jenny Hursell, click here.