Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 77 High Street
 

1896
E W Bridge - Hairdresser, Stationer, Library and Fancy Repository (K1896)

1908
E W Bridge - Hairdresser, Stationer, Library and Fancy Repository (K1908)

 
E W Bridge - Hairdresser, Stationer, Library and Fancy Repository
 

1924
E W Bridge - Hairdresser, Stationer, Library and Fancy Repository (K1924)

In spite of Kelly's description, the late J B Harris remembers it in the 1920s principally as a toy shop. "My favourite shop when I was young was E W Bridge, Bridge's in the High Street. It was a toy shop and sold a wide range from fully soft toys to rattles, cheap, tin Hornby trains and Meccano and quality model railways by Basset-Lowke. One counter was devoted to knitting wool." From 'Memories of Southwold 1920 - 1939' by J B Harris, quoted here by kind permission of his widow, Mary Harris.

 

1933
Mrs E M Bridge - Fancy Repository (K1933, 1937)

1939
Misses Bridge - Fancy Repository (SRB1939)

Misses Bridge - Fancy Repository. The shop closes in the mid 1940s full of stock, according to reports. The premises continue to be owned by the Bridge family.

 

1954
Misses Bridge - The stock which has lain in the shop since its closure ten years before, is sold. (LM) The electoral register of 1950 lists Gladys Bridge at this address. (SER 1950, SRB1954)

 




 

Date?
Lyn Church - 'Seventy Seven' Ladies Fashions.

 
Lyn Church - 'Seventy Seven' Ladies Fashions.
 

Lyn Church - 'Seventy Seven' Ladies Fashions.

 
 

2004?
'Seventy Seven' closes and owners move the business to No 5 Station Road where it trades as 'Five'

Adrian Nunn - 'FarmHouse Bakery' (Details?)

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.
 



E W Bridge bill head of 1899. Reproduced from a collection in Southwold Museum.
Click the image to enlarge.

Printed fabric cover for a set of 'snaps' of Southwold by Friths, sold by E W Bridge, dating from the 1920s.
With thanks to Peter Parke for this image.
Click picture to enlarge.

John Brown & Lyn ChurchJohn Brown and Lyn Church pictured in the mid 1980s.
Reproduced from 'To the Town' by kind permission of Stephen Wolfenden

Click the picture to enlarge

1994 advertisement in Southwold Summer Theatre programme