Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 71 High Street
 
 

1862
James Seaman - Butcher and Cattle Dealer. This business is established this year (Date given in advertising, W1874)

1896
James Fryett - Butcher (K1896). James is 48 and is married to Caroline. It is likely that James has run this business for many years previously, The census records of 1871, 1881 and 1891 describe him as a 'Master Butcher' though living at various addresses around town. Their son, John, who was born in 1870, now runs a butcher's shop of his own at No 32 East Street. (C)

 

1907
James Fryett - James is now 59 and has help in the shop from his nephew, William (Billy) Blowers. It is believed that Billy later takes over the business.

Note: Billy Blowers is the son of James sister, Sarah and her carpenter husband, Thomas Blowers, Thomas being a brother of the blacksmith William Blowers of No 42 High Street (Source: Alan John Blowers)

1908
William Blowers - Fryett - Butcher and Famer. (K1908)


 

1915
William Blowers - Fryett - Butcher (SRT1915) James Fryett dies this year at the age of 67.

 

 

1924
...Thomas C Denny - Southwold Meat Supply Company (K1924, SWCG1929).

William Blowers has now moved to take over the butcher's shop at No 23 Market Place. (K1924)

 

The late J B Harris, who spent his summers in Southwold as a boy between the wars, writes: "There was a variety of shops of all sorts and my parents usually had strong views as to which were or were not all right... There were three good butchers, but only Denny in the High Street opposite The Crown was ever patronised [by us]. The assistant in Denny's was Mr May, the local Scout Master." (From "Memories of Southwold 1920 - 1939" by J B Harris, reproduced by kind permission of his widow, Mary Harris.)

 

 

1933
Thomas C Denny - Southwold Meat Supply Company (K1933)

1937
Herbert Wade - Butcher (K1937)


1940
Herbert Wade - Butcher. The shop closes on 24th June (SRB1940) Mr Wade is registered for 'non-combatant duties' as a Conscientious Objector. Read a local press account of the hearing (1939) here.

Note: there is a discrepany in Mr Wade's forenames as recorded in Kelly's Directory (Herbert) and the press report (Hugh Edward).

1946
A Taylor & Sons - 'The Wireless Shop'. This short-lived business closes on 1st April this year (SRB1946) although an advertisement for it appears two months later in the Souvenir Programme of the Southwold Victory Celebrations. See right.


 

1951
S Syner - Hairdresser (SER1951, CSP1953)

1957
Helena Shreeve - Confectioner. This business also serves as the local office for the Belle and Grey-Green coach companies. (SER1957)


1961
Judith Ann Johnson - Trading as 'Judith Ann Confectioner'. (SER1961). The shop continued to act as the local office for the Grey-Green coach companies.


 

1970
Mrs K M Oddy - Confectioner and Tea Rooms. (SER1970). Mrs Oddy's tea room business began when she started offering cups of tea to the Grey-Green Bus drivers. (LM)

1978
Peter J Squiers - Trading as 'Squiers of Southwold'. Confectioners, and tea shop / restaurant. Also office of the Grey-Green coach company.


 
1980
Michael and Joyce Hyslop buy the shop and the premises freehold and continue trading as 'Squiers of Southwold', Confectioners, and tea shop. They acquire a liquor licence and introduce lunches and 'theme' evenings. They continue to act as agents for the Grey-Green coach company, running services to London. It is this experience that gives the Hyslops the idea of starting their own travel agency. They retain the freehold on this property and take a lease on No 59 High Street where they launch Sole Bay Travel in partnership with their son, Mark.(source: Jayne Barnett, nee Hyslop)
Dates required.
 

1991
William J Perry - Modifies the spelling of the trading name to 'Squires', Confectioners, and tea shop / restaurant. (SER1991)

1999
C Sawyer - Reinstates the original spelling 'Squiers'. Confectioners, and tea shop / restaurant. (SER1999)

 
 

?

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.


Spot the difference: Top: Squires in 1996 after William Perry had changed the spelling from the original 'Squiers'. bottom: the new owner, C Sawyer, has reinstated the original spelling. (photographed in 2012)

Billy Blowers in 1907William (Billy) Blowers photographed outside the Fryett Butchers shop in 1907. He will later take over the Market Place Butcher's shop.
With thanks to Alan John Blowers for allowing us to reproduce this family photo
Click the picture to enlarge

James Fryett 's shop front as it appeared in his advertising in the Southwold Guide c1910 .
Image kindly supplied by Jim Elmes.
To see the complete advertisement, click the picture.



Advertisement in the Southwold Railway Timetable 1915


Above: 1929 advertisement in the Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide and, below a 1930 advertisement in te Southwold Golf Club Handbook. Both courtesy of Heather Osmer.

Promotional address book issued by H Wade between 1937 and 1940.
Image reproduced courtesy of Murray Gellatly

Taylor advert 1946
1946 advert for the short-lived Taylor Wireless Shop. Reproduced from the Souvenir Programme of the Southwold Victory Celebrations.
With thanks to David Wright for the image


Advertisement in the Southwold Cinema Programme 1958