Explore our dynamic panoramas




 
Southwold Hospital
 
     
 

1897
On 20 April, Southwold Borough Council agrees to earmark this site for a memorial cottage hospital to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. A public appeal is launched for donations and annual subscriptions and the local architect, Thomas Edward Key, is retained to produce the designs. In the same year, a house on the adjacent Town Farm is taken over as a district nurses' home and interim, 4-bed hospital.

Note: Thomas Edward Key (1864-1911) was brought up in Leiston and studied at the Architectural Association in London where he won awards. His practice was mainly focused on the Suffolk coast and he maintained offices in both Southwold (No 1 Market Place) and Aldeburgh. As well as Southwold Hospital, Key designed the Station Hotel and the Randolph Hotel, Reydon, for Adnams. He also accepted some private commissions for large, detached houses in central London. He designed the Constitutional Club in Leiston, elementary schools in Saxmundham and Carlton Colville and oversaw church restorations at Peasenhall and Dennington. His obituary suggests that he also designed several Arts-&-Crafts-inspired houses in North Suffolk but these remain unattributed.

We are grateful to Alan Hatfield of Leiston for supplying details of Thomas Key's career.




1901
Foundation stone laid by the Countess of Stradbroke.

1903
Southwold Cottage Hospital is opened by the Bishop of Ipswich. It has two 4-patient wards, two single wards and accommodation for nurses.

1904
A surgical operating room is opened

 



 



 

1933
24 May - A much enhanced operating theatre is opened as a memorial to Dr Wilson Mullock.


1948
Taken over by the new National Health Service.

With acknowledgement to the chapter on Southwold Hospital by Barbara Davis in 'Southwold:Portraits of an English Seaside Town' edited by Rebecca & Stephen Clegg.


 


 

 

 

 
 
 

 

 
 

 

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.


Southwold Hospital today

Southwold Hospital in 1897

The hospital soon after completion in 1897
Southwold Museum (P1480)
Click the picture to enlarge

Town Farm in 1893

A very scratched print showing Town Farm buildings in 1893, a few years before they were redeveloped to create Southwold Hospital.
A detail from a photograph taken from the top of the recently built Southwold Lighthouse.
Southwold Museum P2784 - 2

Click picture to enlarge

Nurse Beatrice May Crooks aged 24 in 1911, just after she had qualified at the London Hospital and taken up her first appointment at Southwold. She lodged at Cumberland Terrace

Photos reproduced by kind permission of Beatrice's grandson, Peter Parke. To learn more about her, read Peter's accont here.

To enlarge the photos, click one of the images.

Nurse Beatrice and colleagues outside the main entrance of Southwold Hospital. Beatrice is on the right in this picture and the one below. Can anyone identify the other nurses?

 

 

 

 
ll