Field Stile Road marks roughly the boundary between the Corporation property on the south side and the open fields of Town Farm to the North.The Town Farm Estate was, in fact, owned by the Town until, in 1899, the Coast Development Company Ltd offered to buy it for £8000 in order to develop and expand the northern side of the town to maximise the tourism potential of the resort. The offer was accepted. The result was a transformation which included the Pier, the Belle Steamer service, Pier Avenue, The Grand Hotel, The Station Hotel, and a new Power Station.
The dog-leg turn in the road on which this early 19th century house stands marks the point where the original track down to the beach had to circumnavigate the Town Farm buildings of which this is a survivor. It appears to have been retained by the Town Council after the sale of the lands and used to accommodate officers of the borough. It may also have been used briefly at the turn of the century as a temporary hospital and nurses home, pending the completion of the Cottage Hospital in 1903. (Requires confirmation)
With thanks to Judith Simmons in helping to piece together the history of this address