Explore our dynamic panoramas

No 2 East Street


Henry Brown & Son - Tailors (Invoice, right, K 1908). Henry Brown has moved to this address from No 92 High Street, probably before 1901.

Henry Brown & Son - Tailors (K 1916)

Spence Bros - Tailors (K1924) (PPP 1926) It seems likely that Spence operates upstairs at this address as Ernest Palmer, Confectioner is also at the premises at this time.

Ernest R Palmer ('Peely') - Confectioner (SCTG1924, K1928)


Ernest R Palmer ('Peely') - Confectioner (K 1933, K1937)

Ernest R Palmer ('Peely') - Confectioner


Ernest R Palmer ('Peely') - Confectioner

Ernest R Palmer ('Peely') - Confectioner


Ernest R Palmer ('Peely') - Confectioner

Mrs E Palmer
- Continues to run the shop after the death of Ernest.

Mrs E Palmer - Confectioner

Mrs E Palmer
- continues trading as a Confectioner until April 4 1992.

Ives - Converted into an ice cream parlour and tea room (SLHR 1993)


Ives - Ice cream Parlour and Tea Room

Susie Clarke - 'Munchies' Cafe and sandwich bar, a branch of the similarly named business in Aldeburgh.

Darren Marriott - 'The Little Fish & Chip Shop', a branch of The Sole Bay Fish Company at Southwold Harbour.


Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
Our forum facility has been withdrawn by the provider. Sorry for the inconvenience. We are looking for an alternative.

BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.

The Little Fish & Chip Shop
Photo courtesy of Anita Brook

Henry Brown at his shop door in the early 1900s

Southwold Museum P2509
Click picture to enlarge

1905 bill from Henry Brown to Southwold Corporation for tailoring a new livery frock-coat and cleaning and repairing the waitcoat for the Segeant at Mace.
From a collection in Southwold Museum
Click image to enlarge

Spence Bros bill head dated 1920 reproduced from a collection in Southwold Museum

1924 advertisement in Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide

1946 advert for E R Palmer

1946 advertisement reproduced from the Souvenir Programme of the Southwold Victory Celebrations. courtesy of David Wright.

Mrs E Palmer - mid 1980s

Mrs E Palmer in her sweet shop in the mid 1980s.
Reproduced from 'To the Town' by kind permission of Stephen Wolfenden

Click the picture to enlarge

Exterior of the shop in 1989.

Southwold Museum P1992
Click the picture to enlarge