Maria Tolhurst Child and Mary Newman Child - 'School for Young Ladies' (K1888, 1892, K1896). Maria and Mary are sisters of George Edmund Child (Senior), the well known local iron founder of No 9 Market Place(Child's Yard). Maria describes herself as the School's 'Principal' while her sister, a year younger, is 'Assistant Teacher'. Before setting up the school here, the sisters were running a similar establishment at an unknown address in the High Street, (C1881).
In Kelly''s Directory of 1888 the address of the Misses Childs' school is given as 5 Cumberland Terrace. (Cumberland Terrace was a group of half a dozen three-storey properties directly fronting St Edmund's Church Green before the present Cumberland road was built.) In the 1891 Census the Childs' address is recorded as No 2 East Green. Further confusion: a year later the 1892 Kelly's Directory puts the school at No 3 Cumberland Terrace while, in 1896 and 1901, Kelly's settles on No 17 Cumberland Terrace.By this time we suspect that the numbering had been adjusted to include all the new properties between East Green and Field Stile Road although the name Cumberland Road was not adopted until after 1911.