Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 38 Church Street - Brickmakers Arms
 
 

1871, 1874
William Blowers - Beer House - so termed because the landlord held a licence to sell beer but not spirits. (W1874). William (41 in 1874) is married to Amelia and they have five children. The 1871 Census lists him as a 'brewer'. However, 10 years later he is recorded as a farmer of 70 acres in Reydon. Farming and farm surveying remain his occupations for the next 30 years.

1896
John Grindell - Beer Retailer (K1896)


1901
John Grindell
- Beer Retailer (C1901)

 

1916
Frederick Cross - Beer Retailer (K1916)

 

1924
Frederick Cross - Beer Retailer (K1924)

1926
William Campbell - Beer Retailer (PPP)


 

1933
William Campbell - Beer Retailer (K1933)

1937
H G Mullender - Beer Retailer and Boot Repairer. Mr Mullender left on 1st April 1939. Presumably the pub closed for the duration of the War. (K1937)


1945 - 1951
F Clark - Reopens the pub. (Adnams' records)


 

1951
Mrs Clark takes over as licensee (Adnams' records)


1962
Mrs Clark - licensee. The Brickmakers Arms is closed and delicensed this year (Adnams' records).

 

 

 

1981
Adnams Brewery
demolishes the disused pub and incorporates the space into its bottling plant.(LM)

 

 

 
 



   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.




Nos 24 -38 Church Street were purchased by Adnams Brewery in date. The fascias were carefully retained and still look like the row of cottages they once were, but behind them lies the brewery bottling plant.


Brickmakers Yard was an alleyway off Church Street beside the Beer House. It contained several small cottages (30-36 Church Street). The entire yard was demolished over a number of years to accommodate Adnams' bottling plant. (Southwold Museum P1489). The yard and beer house have been lost and replaced by two mock cottage facades (below) to match up with the adjacent original facades .

Frank Mortlock was born in one of the yard cottages in 1927. He remembers: "The passage ran down to the smoke house in what is now the Swan Hotel yard. It doesn't exist now. It was filled in with two mock cottage fronts by the brewery and where I lived is where they now fill the barrels!"