In the early 1700s it was known as 'Blackshore Alehouse, By the end of the century it was being referred to as 'The Fishing Buss' or simply 'The Buss'. Its ownership and management in the 18th and 19th centuries were closely linked with the ownership and management of the Blackshore Quay and wharf which it served. The Town Bailiffs were the legal owners and tenancy of both the Wharf and the pub were regularly auctioned for fixed terms. It is often difficult to disentangle tenancies and sub-tenancies. Sometimes it seems that the Landlord of the pub sub-lets the wharf. Sometimes it appears to be the Wharf tenant who appoints a pub landlord.
John and Barbara Petre (BSD)
John and Mary Colman (BSD)
William Nunn has become the owner. Ownership soon passes to John Thompson, owner of the Old Swan Inn and its brewhouse. However, at this time, the ale house was supplied not by his brewery but by William Clarke's Bungay brewery.(BSD)
John Berry (M) Alehouse keeper
William Prettyman succeeds John Berry (M) Alehouse keeper
Jo Gillings succeeds William Prettyman (M)
William Balls succeeds Jo Gillings. The 'Fishing Buss' public House is an integral part of Blackshore Quay at this time. William will remain the innkeeper for 26 years but sublets the quay to a succession of tenants. (M)
Peter Palmer (Status of Peter Palmer needs clarifying - a tenant of William Balls?) (BSD)
William Balls- Innkeeper, sublets the quay to (Forename) Hadingham for a three-year term. (M) This year the new freehold owners of the inn are Messrs Cracknell & Cracknell, proprietors of the Haleswrth Brewery.
William Balls - Innkeeper. The 1841 census records William, age 55, as the Inn Keeper of the Fishing Buss, married to Sarah (30) and with 6 children aged from 1 to 15.
This year James Maggs records that William Balls fails to pay the rent for the wharf and it is let instead to Charles Naunton for a 4 month term. On the completion of this term it is let to Isaac Chinery for one year but with Charles Naunton continuing to run it. William's tenure of the Fishing Buss ends this year. (M)
On October 11th this year, George Butcher (Snr) of Wenhaston rents the wharf and Fishing Buss at £5 per year. He appoints David Newson to run it. (M) The owners are still the Halesworth Brewery.
John Dendy Strowger - (age 50) takes over from David Newson as under-tenant of George Butcher and landlord of the inn on October 28th. Before that John Strowger was a mariner - the Master of the 'Sole Bay' - operating in coastal and foreign trades. (C, M) John is married to the daughter of George Butcher (Snr) who is now in his 80s and lives with them at the inn. (C1861)
Note:John Dendy Strowger's son, John Aldrich Strowger, will marry Eleanor Powditch in 1865. She is the sister of mariners William and Samuel Powditch whose' story can be read here.
In June this year, on the retirement of its proprietor, Thomas Cracknell, Halesworth Brewery puts its entire estate including 34 public houses and inns up for auction, two of which are in Southwold: The Crown and the Fishing Buss. (See auction notice, right). Not known whether a purchaser emerges.
John Dendy Strowger - Inn Keeper (C)
John Dendy Strowger - Inn Keeper (PO Directory)
George Butcher - We assume this is George Butcher (Jnr), previously a corn and coal merchant from Wenhaston, who has served time for smuggling tobacco. (see cutting, right) (BSD)
John Dendy Strowger dies on 7th January having spent his declining years as a cow keeper.(probate records)
The Fishing Buss Inn is put up for auction
on June 13th. See notice, right.Not known who the buyer and seller are.
William Ladd (BSD)
The Inn is acquired by Adnams & Co under chairmanship of Ernest Adnams as part of a major expansion programme for the brewery. It is now known as The Harbour Inn.