Roman Catholics in Southwold had been using the old Plymouth Bretheren chapel in Blackmill Road for regular worship, supplemented by the Assembly Rooms on North Green on Sundays.
There is some uncertainty about whether the Assembly Rooms referred to are those on North Green (the present library) or the larger Assembly Rooms in York Road. Clarification appreciated.
Building of the new church and Priest's house was begun in 1912 with £4000 left by Miss Amy Auld. Work was interupted by the War but completed in 1916.