Wymering Road sign

 
 


Explore our dynamic panoramas




 
Former Eversley School
 
     


 

1895
Rev Maurice Mason Knowles - founder of Eversley Preparatory School for Boys. The school moves into the newly built premises, Eversley House, overlooking the Common, the following year.


 
1912
Bernard Bee - Headmaster. An extension is completed in 1914 and central heating installed in 1919. (SCTG1922)
 
Bernard Bee - Headmaster. During this period the school buildings are further extended in 1919 and 1922. The school now has a frontage to the Common of 120 ft with more buildings around a quadrangle to the rear and the premises fronting Wymering Road are built. (SCGT1922). The school's playing field and pavilion are in Reydon at the junction with Wangford Road and Nigtingale Avenue.

 

Bernard Bee - Headmaster. During this period the school gymnasium is built nearby in Blackmill Road.

Bernard Bee - Headmaster. During the War, the school is evacuated to Coniston in the Lake District and the premises are requisitioned.

Note:

Michael Graham joined the displaced school as a day-boy after his family had moved to Coniston from Barrow in Furness during the Blitz on Barrow Shipyard in Spring 1941. Later he became a boarder and Head Boy, moving with the school when it returned home to Southwold after the war. He recalls some of his teachers including Mr Wales (Latin), Mr Tebbit and Mr Heron (who would go on to become joint head). Michael returned to Cumbria in 1947 when he gained a scholarship to St Bees.


 

1950
Edward Heron and Max Raffe - Joint headmasters .

1956
Max Raffe - Headmaster. Edward Heron leaves this year.

For memories of Peter Howard, a pupil of this time, click here.


Max Raffe - Headmaster.

 

1979
Max Raffe dies and is succeeded by local historian Alan Bottomley. This year, the school accepts girls for the first time.


 
Alan Bottomley - Headmaster.
 

1994
Alan Bottomley is succeeded as headmaster by John Dann for one term and then by Ben Nelson.

1998
Eversley School is forced to close as a consequence of falling pupil numbers.


 
 

 

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.


Former Eversley School from Wymering Road

Above: the school, now converted into homes. Below: view from the Paddock, Southwold Common, of houses, once parts of the school.

Former Eversley School from the Common

Mill House - Eversley School

Mill House, part of Eversley School, in 1924.
Click the picture to enlarge

 

Eversley School advertisement 1915
1915 advertisement placed in the Southwold Railway Timetable of this year

School buildings seen from The Common in 1926. The new Roman Catholic Church is on the right.
Photo: Robert Turner supplied courtesy of Dorothy Ball.
Click image to enlarge

One of the classrooms photographed in 1926 by Robert Turner.
Photo courtesy of Dorothy Ball.
Click image to enlatge

Part of the school dining room in 1926 by Robert Turner.
Photo courtesy of Dorothy Ball.
Click image to enlarge

Eversley School playing field and pavilion in 1928. The playing field was in Reydon, roughly where the Sole Bay Health Centre and new housing development now stand. The bungalows stand on the Wangford Road.The photo was taken by Laurence Turner during a visit to watch his son, Keith play cricket.
Picture courtesy of Dorothy Ball
Click image to enlarge

Alan Bottomley - Mid 1980s

Headmaster Alan Bottomley photographed in the mid 1980s..
Reproduced from 'To the Town' by kind permission of Stephen Wolfenden

Click the picture to enlarge

Eversley School diinner ladies in the mid 1980s. From left: Gillian Smith, Claire Smith, Joan Everson.
Reproduced from 'To the Town' by kind permission of Stephen Wolfenden

Click the picture to enlarge