Bartholomew Green was the original commercial hub of Southwold. King Henry VII granted the town the right to hold a fair here in the late 15th century. This was in addition to the town's established Trinity or Charter Fair. St Bartholomew Fair was held on 24 August (the Saint's day) every year until 1815. The ancient Guildhall which stood on the green, roughly where the existing church gates are, was taken over as the administrative headquarters of the town in 1809 when the Town Cross in the Market Place was demolished. Not for long, though; the guildhall itself was demolished in 1816.
= 360 degree panorama point